The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert over concerns that certain Ivars Commissary’s ready-to-eat meat soup products may have been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions, which may result in the product spoiling prematurely.
The problem was discovered when the establishment notified FSIS that they had received multiple consumer complaints regarding bloated soup packages. Upon further review, the establishment found that some product spoiled prematurely. The establishment’s lab testing of the prematurely spoiled products found high levels of spoilage bacteria in the products.
FSIS is issuing this public health alert to ensure that consumers are aware that these products should not be consumed. A recall was not requested because the products are no longer available for purchase. However, FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ refrigerators or freezers.
The following items were shipped to retail locations nationwide and exported to Mexico.
The following products are subject to the public health alert:
- 48-oz. packages containing two 24-oz. cups of “Ivar’s PUGET SOUND CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON” with Use By dates 4/26/2023, 4/27/2023, 5/3/2023, 5/4/2023, 5/5/2023, 5/11/2023, 5/23/2023, 5/30/2023, 6/2/2023, 6/6/2023, 6/7/2023, 7/5/2023, 7/20/2023, 8/1/2023, 8/10/2023, and 8/17/2023.
- 48-oz. packages containing two 24-oz. cups of “Ivar’s Loaded Baked Potato Soup” with Use By dates 5/9/2023, 5/19/2023, 6/16/2023, and 7/18/2023.
- 48-oz. packages containing two 24-oz. cups of “Ivar’s Rustic Zuppa Toscana Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup” with Use By dates 4/30/2023, 5/2/2023, 5/14/2023, 5/15/2023, 5/21/2023, 5/22/2023, and 5/30/2023.
- 20-oz. cup of “Ivar’s PUGET SOUND Clam Chowder WITH BACON” with Use By dates 4/26/2023, 5/5/2023, 6/6/2023, 7/20/2023, and 8/10/2023.
- 20-oz. cup of “PIKE PLACE FISH MARKET WORLD FAMOUS CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON” with Use By dates 5/4/2023, 7/5/2023, and 8/1/2023.
The products bear establishment number “EST. 20173” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Product labels can be seen here.
As of the posting of this alert, there have been no confirmed reports of illness due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider.
Consumption of food contaminated with spoilage organisms can cause illness in immunocompromised individuals.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here)