ANF Inc. and ELM Pet Foods are recalling dry dog foods because of potentially elevated levels of vitamin D.
Dogs that ingest excessive vitamin D may experience vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling and weight loss. At very high levels, vitamin D can lead to renal dysfunction.
ANF has recalled the following products, distributed in retail stores in Puerto Rico.
- ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food, 3 kg. Best before NOV 23 2019; UPC 9097231622
- ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food, 7.5 kg. Best before NOV 20 2019; UPC 9097203300
ELM has recalled the following items, which were manufactured between Feb. 25 and Oct. 31, 2018. They were distributed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.
- ELM Chicken and Chickpea Recipe, 3 lb. Best buy codes TD2 26 FEB 2019, TE1 30 APR 2019, TD1 5 SEP 2019, and TD2 5 SEP 2019; UPC 0-70155-22507-8
- ELM Chicken and Chickpea Recipe, 28 lb. Best buy codes TB3 6 APR 2019, TA1 2 JULY 2019, and TI1 2 JULY 2019; UPC 0-70155-22513-9
- ELM Chicken and Chickpea Recipe, 40 lb. Best buy codes TB3 14 Sep 2019, TA2 22 Sep 2019, and TB2 11 Oct 2019; UPC 0-70155-22522-9
Consumers who purchased the recalled ANF products may contact ANF, Inc. customer service at 936-560-5930, or by email at email@example.com for additional information.
Consumers who purchased the ELM products and who have questions or would like a refund should call ELM Pet Foods at 800-705-2111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Both recalls are being conducted in cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)