Update (June 3): Additional information has come to light regarding this death, and the article has been updated to reflect the new information. A 2-year-old boy from Greenwood, SC, has died from complications related to E. coli infection, according to Greenwood County Coroner Sonny Cox. Myles Mayfield reportedly died Sunday night at Greenville Memorial Hospital. The boy has an older sibling who attends Springfield Elementary School. State health officials officials say that there is no reason to believe that the community is at risk of an E. coli outbreak at this time. On Monday, the local school district posted a letter indicating that the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) was investigating a potential Shiga toxin-producing (STEC) infection at Springfield. “We take these matters very seriously,” stated School District Superintendent Darrell Johnson in the letter. “We are very concerned about the health and well-being of every student and adult at Springfield and in our district.” Johnson said that the elementary school has been sanitized and that district officials would be working with DHEC personnel to monitor the situation. In a June 1 letter to parents and guardians of Springfield Elementary School students, DHEC officials explained what STEC is and how it is spread. The letter also provided guidance about what to do if someone becomes ill (contact a health care provider), along with how to prevent E. coli infection through specific cooking and cleaning tips. The child was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital and was pronounced dead on May 31. The symptoms of STEC infections can vary by individual, but they often include severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. The illness usually resolves in 5 to 7 days, but a serious complication known as hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) can develop in some people, especially the very young, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems. Some ways to prevent E. coli infection include cooking meats thoroughly, avoiding raw milk, avoiding swallowing water when swimming in lakes, ponds and streams, and preventing cross-contamination in food preparation. Additional information about E. coli can be found here.