Fruits et Légumes Gaétan Bono is recalling whole cantaloupes in Canada because of contamination with Salmonella.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency reports that the cantaloupes were distributed in the provinces of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec, with the possibility that there was wider distribution.
The Malichita brand cantaloupes were sold between Oct. 22 and Nov. 1. The cantaloupes have a small sticker with the company’s logo. The cantaloupes were imported from Mexico.
The recall comes after government testing in Canada found Salmonella contamination. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency urges consumers and retailers not to eat or sell the implicated cantaloupes. As of the posting of the recall notice, no illnesses related to the cantaloupes had been confirmed.
About Salmonella infections
Food contaminated with Salmonella bacteria does not usually look, smell, or taste spoiled. Anyone can become sick with a Salmonella infection. Infants, children, seniors, and people with weakened immune systems are at higher risk of serious illness because their immune systems are fragile, according to the CDC.
Anyone who has eaten any of the recalled cantaloupes and developed symptoms of Salmonella infection should seek medical attention. Sick people should tell their doctors about the possible exposure to Salmonella bacteria because special tests are necessary to diagnose salmonellosis. Salmonella infection symptoms can mimic other illnesses, frequently leading to misdiagnosis.
Symptoms of Salmonella infection can include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating contaminated food. Otherwise, healthy adults are usually sick for four to seven days. In some cases, however, diarrhea may be so severe that patients require hospitalization.
Older adults, children, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients, are more likely to develop severe illness and serious, sometimes life-threatening conditions.
Some people get infected without getting sick or showing any symptoms. However, they may still spread the infections to others.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News,click here)