The wife of a man who was infected with Salmonella linked to duck eggs and later died has said his death has left a massive hole in their lives.

Cheryl Tavakoli paid tribute to her husband ahead of a pre-inquest review hearing.

Niptoon Tavakoli, of Lindholme, Doncaster in England, died in a hospital two months after falling ill complaining of sickness and diarrhoea.

The 65-year-old had eaten duck eggs bought from a stall at the Messingham Show in North Lincolnshire five days before becoming ill.

‘Massive hole in our lives’
Cheryl, 60, said seeing Niptoon so poorly in the last few weeks of his life and being powerless to help was truly horrific.

“Niptoon was the most wonderful, loving and caring husband and stepdad we could have wished for. He was never happier when spending time with his family or visiting antique centres and fairs,” she said.

“Niptoon has left a massive hole in all our lives and we miss him so much. We had so many plans for the future still, but now he is no longer with us, these will only ever remain as plans. It is difficult not to think that he was taken too soon.”

Niptoon, who had worked in the catering industry and retail management, bought six ducks eggs at Messingham Show in June 2019 and cooked and ate four of them.

Five days later an ambulance was called to his home but Niptoon did not go to hospital. On June 10 he was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary after paramedics were called again. Doctors found evidence of Salmonella. Niptoon was admitted to intensive care. However, his condition deteriorated and he died of organ failure on Aug. 12.

Provide the family with answers
Public Health England investigated and confirmed a second case of Salmonella in the West Midlands with the same strain but was unable to trace the source of the pathogen.

Cheryl said knowing another person contracted Salmonella after eating duck eggs adds to the concerns about Niptoon’s death.

“We know that nothing can ever make up for what has happened but we need to know if more could have been done to prevent his death. We know that the inquest process is going to be an emotional time but it is something we have to do to honour Niptoon’s memory,” she said.

Cheryl has instructed lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate and support the family through the inquest process.

Tim Annett, from Irwin Mitchell, said Salmonella can cause serious health problems and in the worst cases, can lead to death.

“Understandably Niptoon’s family has a number of concerns about the events that unfolded in the lead up to his death. We are determined to provide the family with the vital answers it deserves and the start of the inquest process is a major milestone in being able to do this,” he said.

“We will continue to support the family throughout the process. If during the course of our investigations any issues are identified it is vital that lessons are learned.”

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)