Fourteen people are part of a Salmonella outbreak in France linked to raw milk cheese. There have been 11 alerts in the past six months for foodborne pathogens in cheese from France, according to the RASFF portal.
The French Ministry of Agriculture and Food said the outbreak was identified by Santé publique France and has been traced to reblochon – a type of cheese – made by Fromagerie De La Tournette. Santé publique France is the national public health agency.
Whole 450-gram packages and half reblochons made at the site with sanitary mark FR 74.128.050 CE and dates between Nov. 17 and Dec. 16, 2018, have been recalled. The French name is ‘Fromage AOP reblochon laitier au lait cru’.
Epidemiological, environmental and food traceability investigations are continuing to identify the origin of contamination. Fromagerie De La Tournette is based in Fillinges in the Haute-Savoie region of France. All the ill people live in this area of the country.
Authorities warned that some of the products were marketed before the withdrawal measure. They recommend that people with the affected cheese do not consume it and return it to the point of sale for a refund.
Full distribution has not been disclosed, but cheese has also been recalled from certain Carrefour supermarkets in Belgium. Reflets de France Fromage in 450-gram packages dated Nov. 30 with lot numbers 82425050 and 82425051 is affected.
Symptoms of Salmonella infection usually appear 12 to 72 hours after infection, and include fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and sometimes vomiting. Illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment but the very young and the elderly are more vulnerable.
List of brands and dates for Reblochon 450g:
- Cœur Savoyard. Dates: Nov. 18, 22 and 29
La Colombière. Date Nov. 29
Fleurbon. Date Nov. 21
FlorAlpes. Dates: Nov. 17, 18, 20 and 21
Gentianes. Date Nov. 21
- Itinéraires des Saveurs. Date Nov. 29
- Maison des Gourmets. Date Dec. 01
- Metro Chef. Dates Nov. 21 and 27 and Dec. 01
- Nos régions ont du talent. Dates Nov. 25, 27 and 30
- Reflets de France. Dates Nov. 21 and 30
- Tournette RHF. Dates Dec. 02, 10 and 12
- Tournette. Dates Nov. 19, 25 and 30 and Dec. 01
- Verdannet. Dates Nov. 19 and 27 and Dec. 16
- Verdannet Sélection. Dates Nov. 27 and 30 and Dec. 08
For the half reblochon:
- Saveurs de nos régions dates Nov. 30 and Dec. 03 and 04
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)