Skip to content
Personal information

350 Arrested in China for Food Safety Violations

Published:

Chinese authorities have taken 350 people suspected of food safety crimes into custody since the end of January, according to the Ministry of Public Security.  The arrests come as part of a government crackdown on food violations that began last month in anticipation of the Chinese Lunar New Year, which will take place this year on February 10.  While quality control is already a major problem in the country, food safety crimes are expected to spike over the holiday, said vice minister of public security Huang Ming, according to Xinhua.  The Ministry says its current focus is on Currently it is on the quality of cooking oil, meat and other items that are popular during this holiday season.  Chinese police shuttered over 220 underground food vendors as part of the crackdown, and at least 120 criminal cases are now pending.  The Ministry plans to continue its scrutiny of food operations throughout the rest of the year, according to Chinese Radio International. It plans to conduct inspections at supermarkets, food exhibitions, tourist sites and food manufacturing facilities.

News Desk

News Desk

The News Desk team at Food Safety News covers breaking developments, regulatory updates, recalls, and key topics shaping food safety today. These articles are produced collaboratively by our editorial staff.

All articles

More in Government Agencies

See all

More from News Desk

See all

Sponsored Content

Your Support Protects Public Health

Food Safety News is nonprofit and reader-funded. Your gift ensures critical coverage of outbreaks, recalls, and regulations remains free for everyone.