Beginning January 1, home-based food producers in New Mexico are required to obtain a permit from the New Mexico Environment Department.  

The food permit, which cost $100 per year, allows home-based food processors operating within state jurisdiction to sell the following foods:  yeast and quick breads, cookies, cakes, tortillas, high-sugar pies and pastries, high-sugar jams and jellies, dry mixes, candy, and fudge.  

Foods allowed for sale under the new permitting process do not support the growth of Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium that can cause botulism poisoning, or other microorganisms that can cause foodborne illness.  

Food processors interested in obtaining the home-based food processor permit can contact their local New Mexico Environment Department field office.  The application package is available at