Officials in Hong Kong are investigating carbon monoxide poisoning in a restaurant that left 14 people needing hospital treatment.

The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health reported that the group ate a “hot pot” dinner using charcoal as cooking fuel in one room at a restaurant
Continue Reading Carbon monoxide poisoning from food preparation sickens restaurant patrons

A man is in a critical condition in a hospital in Hong Kong after consuming puffer fish and suffering suspected tetrodotoxin poisoning.

The 65-year-old man developed facial numbness, general weakness and respiratory failure about two hours after eating cooked puffer fish he caught in local waters for lunch at home
Continue Reading Man critically ill in Hong Kong after eating puffer fish

Vietnamese authorities have identified eight forged health certificates related to one meat processing plant.

The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) in Hong Kong found discrepancies in serial numbers of health certificates issued by Vietnamese authorities when processing data during modifications to the import food information system.

Suspected forged health certificates
Continue Reading Vietnam and Hong Kong investigation finds forged health certificates

French authorities have warned the public about the risks of confusing toxic and edible plants after the death of a man last month.

In June, a 63-year-old man died after eating water hemlock — also known as water dropwort —  after confusing it with root parsley that he grew and
Continue Reading Death spurs plant warning in France; similar circumstance in Hong Kong