A number of people have asked lawyers to investigate whether their illness was part of a Salmonella outbreak linked to pork scratchings in the United Kingdom.

Among those involved are a man from Malton, North Yorkshire, who was hospitalized and diagnosed with a Salmonella Infantis infection after eating pork scratchings, and a retired elite swimmer from Merseyside.

The Salmonella Infantis outbreak has sickened 179 people since September 2020, mostly in England but also in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. At least a dozen people have been hospitalized. Almost two thirds of those sick have been reported since June this year.

Public Health England, now known as the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), said 56 percent of cases are male, and ages range from 0 to 91 years old with a median of 53.

Tayto Group Limited recalled some Mr. Porky, Jay’s and The Real Pork Crackling Co. products in August after they were linked to the outbreak.

Sick people seek answers
Sebastian Thornton, from Malton, reported eating Mr. Porky pork scratchings as part of a Thai dish and fell ill shortly afterward on July 1 with fever, diarrhea, sweats, and lethargy. He also experienced shakes and was passing blood.

The self-employed professional joiner was hospitalized on July 4 and discharged on July 6 with antibiotics. The impact of illness lasted about six weeks, during which time the 37-year-old wasn’t able to work.

“By the time I heard about the recall, I had already eaten the pork scratchings. Within a few days, I felt awful,” he said.

“I ended up having to go into hospital and after I was discharged I was told I had Salmonella infantis. It’s really worrying to think that so many other people have also been struck down with symptoms of Salmonella. I feel it’s important that an investigation takes place to try and prevent this from happening to others in the future.”

Daniel Roberts, from Wirrall, fell ill on August 21 with fever, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. By the end of August, the 40-year-old was still suffering.

“I’ve never felt so unwell before and it continued for so long that I had to contact the NHS. I was really worried when I heard that it could be Salmonella. I’m still feeling a little off, more than a month on. I really hope that it’s investigated as I wouldn’t wish what I went through on my worst enemy,” said the retired elite swimmer.

Jatinder Paul, senior associate solicitor at Irwin Mitchell, said it was vital that lessons are learned to improve food hygiene standards.

“We’re aware of a large number of individuals who say they have been affected by this outbreak and we would be interested in speaking to anyone who may have been impacted by this incident who would be able to assist with our investigations. While we welcome the product recall, we’re now investigating further in order to provide our clients with the answers they deserve,” he said.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)