The Raw Factory Ltd. is recalling a number of raw pet food products containing tripe and/or pork due to Salmonella contamination.
The recall was initiated following a freezer breakdown at the company.
“The product could therefore carry a potential risk, either through direct handling of the pet food, or indirectly for example from food bowls or utensils or contact with the faeces of infected animals. In humans, symptoms caused by salmonella usually include fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps,” according to the recall notice posted by theUK’s Food Standards Agency.
The following products are included in the recall:
- Chicken & Tripe: Batch codes CT145, CT146, CT147, CT148, CT149
- Lamb & Tripe: Batch codes L&T88, L&T89, L&T90, L&T91
- Duck Pork & Offal: Batch codes DPO71, DPO72, DPO73, DPO74, DPO75
- Pork Mince: Batch code PM65
- Tripe: Batch codes T124, T125, T126, T127, T128
- Chicken Tripe & Offal: Batch codes CTO123, CTO124, CTO125
- Tripe plus Turkey: Batch codes T&T71, T&T72, T&T73, T&T74, T&T75
- Duck Tripe & Offal: Batch codes DTO115, DTO116, DTO117, DTO118
- Salmon & Tripe: Batch codes S&T85, S&T86, S&T87
- Beef & Tripe: Batch codes B&T110, B&T111
- Pork & Tripe: Batch codes P&T38, P&T39, P&T40, P&T41
- Tripe Chunks: Batch code TC28
All of the recalled products bear a best-before date of September 2019 and were purchased between Sept. 19 and Oct. 31 this year.
The recalled products were distributed only in England.
What consumers should know:
- When handling and serving raw pet food to pets it is always advised to clean utensils and feeding bowls thoroughly.
- Consumers should wash hands thoroughly after handling raw pet food and store separate from any ready-to-eat foods. Care should be taken when defrosting to avoid cross contamination of other foods/ surfaces.
- If you have bought any of the above products, return them to the store from where they were bought for a full refund.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)