Anyone who ate or drank at the Pizza Works restaurant in Custer, SD, between June 19 and July 5 is at risk of exposure to Hepatitis A, the state Department of Health reports. pizza works logo“A case of hepatitis A has been reported in a food handler at the Pizza Works restaurant in Custer,” according to a news release from the department. “Individuals who ate at the restaurant during that time period should contact their health care provider to determine if they need a shot of immune globulin which minimizes their chances of becoming ill or if they should be considered for vaccination.” Hepatitis A is a liver disease caused by a virus. The virus can be carried on an infected person’s hands and can be spread by direct contact, or by consuming food or drink that has been handled by the infected individual. Symptoms may include fatigue, poor appetite, fever, abdominal discomfort, and vomiting. Urine may become darker, and then jaundice  — a yellowing of the skin and eyes — may appear. The disease is rarely fatal and most people recover in a few weeks without any complications. Infants and young children tend to have very mild symptoms and are less likely to develop jaundice than are older children and adults. Not everyone who is infected will have all of the symptoms. “The single most effective way to prevent the spread of hepatitis A is careful handwashing after using the toilet,” the health department advised. “Also, infected people should not handle foods during the contagious period, which begins two weeks before symptoms appear and extends a few days after jaundice appears.” Find more information about hepatitis A at (To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)