A woman in Ventura County, CA, is suing the delicatessen where she says she contracted a severe Salmonella infection last summer as part of an outbreak that sickened at least 21 people. The woman, Stephanie Wehr, ate at Brent’s Deli in Westlake Village, CA, in early August and began coming down with symptoms of illness the next day at work. What followed was several days of abdominal pain, uncontrollable diarrhea, fever, nausea and vomiting. After several trips to receive medical attention, she was admitted to the hospital three days after eating at the deli, ultimately staying there for five days. More than three weeks before Wehr ate at the deli, on July 9, officials from the county health department discovered a Salmonella outbreak potentially linked to the deli and performed an on-site inspection. They found “major” violations related to unsanitary equipment, inadequate employee hand-washing, and improper cooling procedures for potentially hazardous foods. A follow-up inspection on July 22 found that some violations persisted, including foods not being properly stored at sufficiently cool temperatures. Wehr is being represented by Quirk Law Firm of Ventura and Seattle-based food-safety law firm Marler Clark (which underwrites Food Safety News). In January, the outbreak was revealed publicly for the first time when attorney Bill Marler shared information about it in a blog post after being retained by Wehr. Including Wehr, eight people were hospitalized in the outbreak. Among the 21 sickened, two were employees of the restaurant.