Following the death of a 3-year-old boy and hospitalizations of other children last month, the Australian state of Victoria has significantly restricted the sale of raw milk labeled as “bath” milk, which is said to be labeled as such to circumvent Australia’s ban on sales of raw milk for human consumption. Beginning Jan. 1, all milk sold as “bath” milk in Victoria must either be pasteurized or include a gag-inducing agent to make it taste bitter and discourage consumption, according to ABC News. Many of the raw-milk products labeled as “bath” milk are sold in containers similar to drinkable milk and placed near drinkable milk in stores, according to the state’s Minister for Consumer Affairs. Producers of “bath” milk say that the new law came so suddenly that they are not prepared to make the necessary changes, and, in some cases, are not sure how to change their operations to satisfy the new restrictions. In early December, at least five children in Victoria fell ill and were hospitalized with severe infections from E. coli and Cryptosporidium in connection with consuming Mountain View Organic Bath Milk. One of those children, a 3-year-old boy, died after developing hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a kidney disease associated with the most severe E. coli infections. Raw milk is milk that has not been pasteurized to eliminate potentially harmful pathogens. Children, the elderly, and individuals with compromised immune systems are especially vulnerable to pathogens such as E. coli and Cryptosporidium sometimes found in milk.