The parents of Joshua Kaye are suing Whole Foods Market over their son’s death. Eight-year-old Joshua from Braintree, MA, died last summer from an E. coli 0157:H7 infection that turned into hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). Multiple people were sickened, and epidemiological evidence traced the source to grass-fed ground beef back to Whole Foods. “Federal agents were in Whole Foods as early as June 26 investigating the cluster, far before my son was identified as sick,” Andrew Kaye told NECN. “It would not be until later that DNA samples would definitely link Josh to these cases.” The Kayes said they were told there would be a recall, but Whole Foods didn’t issue one until Aug. 15. “We have a letter from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health that talks about Whole Foods grasping at straws, and dragging their feet, and emergency overnight meetings being convened,” Kaye said. “Their delay tactics led to the recall not happening for fifty days after the problem was identified and linked to their stores. We foolishly did not go to the media, or hire an attorney at that time because we trusted the system to work.” Whole Foods issued the following statement in response to the lawsuit: “Whole Foods Market joins the community in expressing our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Joshua Kaye’s family for their tragic loss. We cannot comment specifically on the facts of this pending litigation, but our thorough and ongoing investigation of the circumstances has not shown any clear link to our business. The safety of our customers is a top priority at Whole Foods Market, and always will be.” The Kayes have also filed a lawsuit against Missouri-based Rain Crow Ranch, the company that allegedly produced and processed the contaminated meat. The Kayes are represented by William Marler. Marler underwrites Food Safety News.