Workers at the Andrus Dairy near Birnamwood, WI who were captured on video kicking and punching cows won’t be prosecuted, according to Scott E. Niemi, assistant district attorney for Shawano-Menominee Counties. In a “Notice of No Prosecution,” Niemi suggested owner Alan G. Andrus could fire or retrain the employees, and warned that the dairy farm “will be inspected by someone at some time in the future and any abuse noted will be attributed to him as he has been warned of the issues.” “If Mr. Andrus wishes, forfeiture actions could be started against some of his employees,” the assistant district attorney wrote. “However, the actions of the employees caught on video do not amount to a situation where criminal charges are warranted based upon the review of state and local vets.” This latest hidden camera video came from Mercy for Animals’ undercover operative Matt Rice who had someone get a job at the Andrus Dairy under an assumed name. The famed animal welfare expert, Colorado State University Professor Temple Grandin, condemned the actions seen in the footage. “The handling of dairy cows in this video is not acceptable,” Grandin said. “Employees must be trained to never kick or hit a cow’s udder or face. High pressure water shot in the eye is abusive.” Mercy’s release of the video caused the Hiram, OH-based Great Lakes Cheese, which said it purchased “an infinitesimal amount” of cheese from Mosinee, WI-based Mullins Cheese, which in turn got a small amount of milk from Andrus Dairy, to cut those supplier relationships. Great Lakes Cheese said it expects all of its suppliers to meet its established animal welfare policies and it will not accept any cheese made with any milk from Andrus Dairy because of the incident. Andrus told the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper that the video showed isolated events that were “blown out of proportion,” and he defend the practice of tail docking. Footage for the undercover video was taken between July. 19 and Aug. 22.  Mercy then contacted local law enforcement, which conducted its own investigation before turning the issue over the to district attorney’s office, which declined to prosecute on Oct. 30.