The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) late Saturday told consumers not to eat the following brand of fresh enoki mushrooms after a sample tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.
The food safety issue was identified as part of proactive, routine sampling and testing by the department.
The impacted brand is listed below:
- Xinkang Sheng brand Enoki Mushrooms (UPC 6 972304 660027; no lot code) -packaged in a clear bag with a green label, and white, red, and black Chinese characters. The name “Xinkang Sheng” is written in English on the front of the bag; ‘200’ in white numbers on the back of the bag. (See photos below.)
A sample of these mushrooms was collected in November by MDARD from Dong Yu China Market d/b/a Way 1 Supermarket located at 2789 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI. Enoki mushrooms have a long shelf life, so some consumers or restaurants may still have the mushrooms in their kitchens. MDARD is working with its partners at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to assist the industry in removing affected products from commerce and identifying where else the products may have been sold.
If consumers, restaurants, or retail stores believe they purchased the product at a location other than Way 1 Supermarket in Ann Arbor, please provide information about your purchase location via MDARD’s online complaint system.
Consumers with Xinkang Sheng brand enoki mushrooms should discard them. Retailers and restaurants should remove this product from commerce and contact their MDARD inspector or local health department food sanitarian immediately.
Listeria can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths in pregnant women.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these products. If you think you or a family member may have become ill from consuming any of these products, seek immediate medical attention.
Enoki mushrooms should not be eaten raw or undercooked. The mushrooms should be cooked thoroughly and heated to an internal temperature of at least 165° F to eliminate the risk of illness due to the presence of harmful microorganisms like Listeria monocytogenes.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)