Lindsay Farm is recalling raw drinking milk in New Zealand after one person needed hospital treatment for a Campylobacter infection.

Rachel Eyre, Hawke’s Bay medical officer of health, said illness from the raw milk was Campylobacter, but more tests were being undertaken by the Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR) to identify the strain.

Dr. Eyre said one Hawke’s Bay resident needed hospital treatment after becoming sick on August 4 but has since been discharged. The link to raw milk was made through a patient interview, she said.

Recalled milk
Lindsay Farm brand unpasteurized drinking milk received on and between July 3 to Aug. 11, 2020, in a 2-liter plastic bottle is affected as it may contain Campylobacter. The product is sold via drop off points between Dannevirke and Auckland and can be returned to the company for a refund.

The farm, based in Hawkes Bay, was one of those raided in December 2019 by MPI following a two-year review of the Raw Milk for Sale to Consumers Regulations 2015. It is one of New Zealand’s largest producers of raw milk. The rules allow raw milk to be sold by farmers on the premises or through delivery to a customer’s home.

Melinda Sando, Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) national manager food compliance, said there was one confirmed case of Campylobacteriosis.

“It is possible that there may be other people who experienced illness and anyone concerned about their health should seek medical advice. People who have experienced illness and want to report this can contact the Hawkes Bay District Health Board,” she said.

MPI advised the public not to consume the implicated product or heat it to 70 degrees C (158 degrees F) and hold at this temperature for one minute before drinking it.

People who ingest Campylobacter are likely to become ill within two to five days, although it can take up to 10 days. Symptoms include muscle pain, headaches, and fever, diarrhea that can be bloody and abdominal pain. The illness lasts about five days.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)