TreeHouse Foods Inc. joined several other companies caught up in secondary recalls because of Salmonella found in powdered milk has been used in their products. TreeHouse is recalling mac and cheese products — including Wal-Mart’s Great Value brand.
The Treehouse Foods recall notice, posted on the PRNewsWire.com website Sunday, does not mention Valley Milk Products LLC and the federal seizure of more than 4 million pounds of powdered milk after FDA found out the company knew its facility and products were testing positive for Salmonella.
However, other recalls in recent days do name the Strausburg, VA, milk cooperative.
Saturday two such recalls — the Brand Castle LLC recall of In the Mix brand monkey bread mix and the Shearer’s Foods LLC recall of seasoned potato chips and tortilla chips — both cited the Salmonella problem with powdered milk ingredients from secondary supplier Valley Milk Products LLC. See links for additional companies’ recalls below.
The TreeHouse Foods recall is for three different macaroni and cheese dinners and cups. The recalled products were distributed to retailers nationwide.
“This follows notification from our supplier that the milk powder used in the seasoning has the potential for Salmonella contamination,” according to the recall notice from Oak Brook, IL-based TreeHouse Foods.
“No illnesses have been reported to date. Consumers who have purchased any of the above products are urged to dispose of or return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with any questions may call 800-756-5781.”
Consumers can identify the recalled products by the following label information:
- Big Win Original Macaroni & Cheese Dinner with a UPC number of 001182258403 and a best-by date of 10/25/2017.
- Cheese Club Express Mac Macaroni & Cheese Dinner with a UPC number of 004149817167 and any of the following best-by dates: 11/3/2017; 11/4/2017; 11/18/2017; 11/22/2017; 10/20/2017; 10/21/2017; 10/23/2017; 10/29/2017; 11/1/2017; 11/2/2017; 11/11/2017; 11/16/2017; 11/17/2017; 11/22/2017; 11/23/2017; or 11/28/2017.
- Great Value Macaroni & Cheese Original Cups with a UPC number of 007874208249 and any of the following best-by dates: 10/22/2017; 10/19/2017; 10/27/2017; 10/28/2017; 11/3/2017; 11/7/2017; 11/18/2017; 11/20/2017; or 11/21/2017.
Anyone who has consumed any of the recalled products and developed symptoms of Salmonella infection should seek medical attention and inform their doctors about the possible exposure to the pathogen.
Salmonella is a bacterium that can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps. Most people recover without treatment. In some cases, diarrhea may be so severe that patients need to be hospitalized. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.
For additional details on other recalls related to the Valley Milk Products problems with Salmonella, please see:
- Armed federal agents seize milk products from major cooperative
- Publix recalls mixes; cites powdered milk Salmonella problem
- Stonewall Kitchen recalls mixes for tainted powdered milk
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)