Skip to content
Personal information

California Restaurant Closed for Two Days While Shigella Outbreak Investigated

Published:

True Food Kitchen at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA, was closed for two days in late August while public health officials investigated six cases of Shigella infection.  According to a Sept. 4 media report, those sickened tested positive for the intestinal bacteria, which causes severe diarrhea. Each person who became ill reportedly ate a meal at True Food Kitchen between Aug. 21-25.  Denise Fennessy, director of environmental health for the Health Care Agency of Orange County, said that none of those sickened had eaten the same dish, so the assumption was that the bacteria had been spread from person to person.  The Health Care Agency of Orange County closed down the restaurant on Aug. 28 while investigating the outbreak. It was permitted to reopen Aug. 30 after cleaning and sanitizing the entire restaurant, bringing in replacement staff, disposing of all ready-to-eat foods and removing any unsealed linens.  The restaurant opted to bring in replacement staff because all employees were tested and needed to be cleared before returning to work, Fennessy said.  Anyone with concerns or questions about the situation may call 844-570-5555.

News Desk

News Desk

The News Desk team at Food Safety News covers breaking developments, regulatory updates, recalls, and key topics shaping food safety today. These articles are produced collaboratively by our editorial staff.

All articles

More in Foodborne Illness Investigations

See all

More from News Desk

See all

Sponsored Content

Your Support Protects Public Health

Food Safety News is nonprofit and reader-funded. Your gift ensures critical coverage of outbreaks, recalls, and regulations remains free for everyone.