Skip to content
Personal information

Multistate E. Coli O145 Outbreak Confirmed in Southern U.S.

Published:

The E. coli O145 outbreak that killed a 21-month-old girl in New Orleans on May 31 is connected to at least 11 illnesses across the southern United States, multiple state health departments confirmed with Food Safety Newstoday.  The Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee state health departments say they are working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate the outbreak. The CDC has not yet released any other information related to the investigation, but a spokeswoman said states are in various stages of investigation while CDC plays a supportive organizing role.  So far, health officials do not know the source of the contamination, but many say the contamination vehicle is likely food. Food Safety News does not know if any other states may be involved in the investigation.  “At this time, we continue to interview new cases as we are notified of them,” a Georgia health department spokeswoman wrote in an email. “We have detected no food items or environmental exposures that are statistically associated with illness at this time. This investigation is ongoing.”  The confirmed cases are spread across the following states:  Georgia (5 illnesses), Louisiana (2 ill and 1 dead), Alabama (2 illnesses) and Florida (1 illness).  Officials in Alabama and Florida confirmed with Food Safety News that the pulse-field gel electrophoresis patterns — the E. coli’s DNA ‘fingerprint’ — matched between the E. coli O145 clusters.  Additionally, a spokesman for the Tennessee Department of Health said that one Tennessee man had suffered an E. coli O145 infection around May 1, but he could not confirm if that infection was related to the outbreak in other states.  The confirmed outbreak illnesses appear to have first began in mid-April to early May.  As of June 4, E. coli O145 is one of the ‘Big Six’ E. coli strains now considered an adulterant in ground beef and non-intact beef products by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.  Food Safety News first reported on this developing outbreak yesterday.  Editor’s note: This article has been updated since its original publication earlier today to reflect new information about illnesses related to the outbreak.

James Andrews

James Andrews

James Andrews is a Seattle-based reporter covering science, agriculture and foodborne illness outbreaks. He holds degrees in Environmental Journalism and English and has previously worked as a science writer for the National Park Service. His reporti

All articles

More in Foodborne Illness Investigations

See all

More from James Andrews

See all

Sponsored Content

Your Support Protects Public Health

Food Safety News is nonprofit and reader-funded. Your gift ensures critical coverage of outbreaks, recalls, and regulations remains free for everyone.