AH USA Group Inc. is recalling its Black Fungus (Nam Meo) product because of possible Salmonella contamination.
The recall was triggered after the company was informed that the state of Pennsylvania collected a sample of the product and found salmonella. According to the testers, three types of salmonella were detected, Salmonella Javiana, Salmonella Mgulani and Salmonella Weltevreden.
There is concern that consumers may have this product in their homes because of its long shelf life.
The recalled product was distributed in the following states: California, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Georgia, Washington, Arizona, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania through small grocery stores.
- Golden Koi’s Black Fungus (Nam Meo)
- This brand of Black fungus has a shelf life best buy date of October 2024.
- Packaged in a sized container of 2.5 OZ.
- The item code for this product is TW4115.
As of the posting of this recall, there are no reported incidents correlated with Salmonella in this product.
Consumers who have purchased the recalled TW4115 Black Fungus (Nam Meo) product are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or to dispose of it immediately.
This recall is being conducted in cooperation with the California Department of Public Health.
About Salmonella infection
Food contaminated with Salmonella bacteria does not usually look, smell, or taste spoiled. Anyone can become sick with a Salmonella infection. Infants, children, seniors, and people with weakened immune systems are at higher risk of serious illness because their immune systems are fragile, according to the CDC.
Anyone who has eaten any recalled Black Fungus and developed symptoms of Salmonella infection should seek medical attention. Sick people should tell their doctors about the possible exposure to Salmonella bacteria because special tests are necessary to diagnose salmonellosis. Salmonella infection symptoms can mimic other illnesses, frequently leading to misdiagnosis.
Symptoms of Salmonella infection can include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating contaminated food. Otherwise, healthy adults are usually sick for four to seven days. In some cases, however, diarrhea may be so severe that patients require hospitalization.
Older adults, children, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients, are more likely to develop severe illnesses and serious, sometimes life-threatening conditions.
Some people get infected without getting sick or showing any symptoms. However, they may still spread the infections to others.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)