Swan Bros. Dairy Inc. of Claremore, OK, has issued a statewide recall of raw milk after the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry found Listeria in a sample.
Anyone who has purchased or received raw milk products from Swan Bros. Dairy is strongly urged to dispose of any remaining product.
- The raw milk products were sold in plastic half-gallons, gallons and pints directly from the Swan Bros. Dairy in Claremore and include raw whole milk, raw 2% milk, raw skim milk and raw heavy cream sold in pints.
There is concern some product may still be in consumers’ possession. Consumers should not drink or eat any raw milk or raw milk products from Swan Bros. Dairy. These products should be thrown away immediately.
Anyone who has consumed any raw milk or raw milk products from Swan Bros. Dairy Inc., is recommended to dispose of the remaining product and contact their medical provider if they experience any symptoms of Listeria infection.
About Listeria infections
Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still cause serious and sometimes life-threatening infections. Anyone who has eaten any recalled products and developed symptoms of Listeria infection should seek medical treatment and tell their doctors about the possible Listeria exposure.
Also, anyone who has eaten any of the recalled products should monitor themselves for symptoms during the coming weeks because it can take up to 70 days after exposure to Listeria for symptoms of listeriosis to develop.
Symptoms of Listeria infection can include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache, and neck stiffness. Specific laboratory tests are required to diagnose Listeria infections, which can mimic other illnesses.
Pregnant women, the elderly, young children, and people such as cancer patients who have weakened immune systems are particularly at risk of serious illnesses, life-threatening infections, and other complications. Although infected pregnant women may experience only mild, flu-like symptoms, their infections can lead to premature delivery, infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)