Grand Rapids, MI-based Meijer, in conjunction with Eagle Produce,LLC in Aguila, AZ., today announced the recall of whole cantaloupes and some cut cantaloupe fruit trays and bowls. The recall is part of a sampling investigation by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and is due to the potential risk of Salmonella.
The multi-state recall involves the whole cantaloupe and some cut cantaloupe fruit trays and bowls in various weights ranging from 6 to 40 ounces sold between Sept. 26 and Oct. 5 at all Meijer stores in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. There have been no illnesses reported to date.
The recalled whole cantaloupe may have a sticker label stating “Kandy Brand” from Eagle Produce LLC. If there is no sticker label to identify it, then it should be considered part of the recall. In addition, Meijer may have used cantaloupe ingredients that originated from Eagle Produce, LLC some store-made products. The following recalled packaged products are in clear plastic containers under the Meijer brand label:
- 9450 – Gas Station Mixed Melon Chunk Cup
- 9505 – Gas Station Mixed Fruit Cup
- 9644 – Gas Station Cantaloupe 6 oz
- 21921000000 – Fruit Frenzy Bowl 40 oz
- 21921400000 – Fruit Tray
- 21924800000 – Fruit Tray with Dip
- 21932300000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large PLU 4960
- 21933400000 – Mixed Melon Chunks Large Bowl
- 21933700000 – Mixed Melon Chunks Small Bowl
- 21960100000 – Fruit Frenzy 16 oz Bowl PLU
- 21971100000 – Strawberry/Pineapple Cup 6 oz
- 21971200000 – Mixed Fruit Cup 6 oz
- 21971700000 – Berry Explosion Cup 6 oz
- 21971800000 – Mixed Melon Chunk Cup 6 oz
- 21984400000 – Mixed Melon Cup
- 22012400000 – Mixed Fruit Cu
- 22019600000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Small Bowl
- 22020000000 – Fruit Frenzy 32 oz Bowl PLU 1
- 22021900000 – Cantaloupe and Honeydew Slices
- 22022000000 – Mixed Melon Slices
- 22045000000 – Fruit Palooza
- 22045200000 – Melons & Berries
- 22045300000 – Triple Treat & Melon
- 22061600000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large Kosher
- 22061700000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large Koshe
- 28873400000 – Fruit Salad
Consumers who have purchased this product should throw them away or return them to the nearest Meijer store for a full refund.
Consumers with questions or concerns about their health should contact their physician. In 2011, cantaloupe was the source of the listeria outbreak that was the deadliest outbreak of food-borne illness since 1911.
Meijer operates 253 supercenters throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. It has been a private and family-owned business since its founding in 1934.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)