Sunshine Mills Inc. is recalling select Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride, and Triumph dry dog foods because of potentially elevated Vitamin D levels.
The voluntary recall follows prior recalls of specific lots of Natural Life, Nutrisca, Orlando, Abound, Nature’s Place and Nature’s Promise brands of dry dog food manufactured by Sunshine. The recall is being carried out in cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration, which has posted photos of all of the products subject to this recall.
Tuesday’s recall includes the following products, all of which have best-buy date codes of Nov. 1, 2018, through Nov. 8, 2019:
- Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food, 14 lb. UPC 0-73657-00862-0
- Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food, 28 lb. UPC 0-73657-00863-7
- Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food, 40 lb. UPC 0-70155-10566-0
- Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food, 40 lb. UPC 0-70155-10564-0
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food, 3.5 lb. UPC 0-73657-00873-6
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food, 16 lb. UPC 0-73657-00874-3
- Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food, 30 lb. UPC 0-73657-00875-0
The recalled products were sold in retail stores in the United States, and were supplied to distributors in Japan, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Israel, Canada and South Korea.
Dogs that consume elevated levels of vitamin D may experience symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Consumption of very high levels may lead to serious health issues, including kidney disfunction.
Consumers whose dogs exhibit any of the indicated symptoms after having eaten any of the recalled products should contact their veterinarian.
For additional information, consumers may contact Sunshine Mills Inc. customer service at 800-705-2111, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)