In addition to recalling 3.8 million bottles of protein drinks in the U.S. because of consumer complaints of spoilage and illnesses, Bolthouse Farms Inc. is recalling an undisclosed number of three flavors of the drinks from retailers across Canada. No illnesses related to the products had been reported in Canada as of the posting of the recall notice Wednesday on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website. “Bolthouse Farms is recalling Bolthouse Farms brand protein beverages from the marketplace due to possible spoilage that may cause the beverages to appear lumpy, taste unpleasant and have an off odor,” according to the recall notice posted by CFIA. “Consumers should not consume the recalled products described below. Check to see if you have recalled product in your home. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.” In Canada, only three flavors of the Bolthouse Farms drinks are being recalled. Consumers can identify the recalled Bolthouse Farms beverages with the following label information:
- Chocolate Protein Plus Protein Shake, 450 ml, Best Before dates from 2016/JL/10 to 2016/OC/12 and UPC number 0 71464 30650 2;
- Chocolate Protein Plus Protein Shake, 946 ml, Best Before dates from 2016/JL/10 to 2016/OC/12 and UPC number 0 71464 30651 9;
- Vanilla Bean Protein Plus Protein Shake, 946 ml, Best Before dates from 2016/JL/10 to 2016/OC/12 and UPC number 0 71464 01640 1;
- Mocha Cappuccino Perfectly Protein Coffee Beverage, 450 ml, Best Before 2016/AU/02 and UPC number 0 71464 30050 0; and
- Mocha Cappuccino Perfectly Protein Coffee Beverage, 946 ml, Best Before 2016/SE/02 and UPC number 0 71464 30051 7.
Canadian officials are conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products, according to the recall notice. The CFIA is verifying that industry is removing the recalled products from the marketplace. The U.S. recall details Based in Bakersfield, CA, Bolthouse Farms — widely known for its “Baby Carrots” — posted a recall alert Wednesday on its company website and with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warning consumers to not drink five flavors of “Protein PLUS” shakes as well as “Mocha Cappuccino Perfectly Protein” beverages distributed in the U.S. “The recall affects 3.8 million bottles that have been distributed nationally in the United States,” according to the recall notice on the FDA website. “These products should not be consumed. The issue was identified after the company received consumer complaints, including reports of illness. The cause of this issue is currently under investigation.” Bolthouse Farms is advising U.S. consumers to return the recalled beverages to the stores where they bought them for a full refund. For more information consumers call 866-535-3774. Founded in 1915 and headquartered in California’s San Joaquin Valley, the company was acquired by Campbell Soup Co. in 2012. (To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)