Mahina Mele Farms LLC is recalling seven products after FDA testing found Salmonella in macadamia nuts. “To date, no illnesses have been reported in connection with these products. In the interest of public health and safety, we are recalling all products processed from this batch of macadamia nuts,” according to the recall notice on the Food and Drug Administration’s website. Mahina Mele distributed the products to retail stores in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maryland and Virginia from Oct. 21- Nov. 25, 2015. Customers who have purchased the products should not consume them. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea that may be bloody, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections such as infected aneurysms, as well as endocarditis and arthritis. The recalled Mahina Mele products, their UPC numbers adn lot numbers are:
- 6-ounce salted Izzie Macs! Macadamia Nuts in plastic bags, UPC 689076792677; lot 026,027,029;
- 6-ounce unsalted Izzie Macs! Macadamia Nuts in plastic bags, UPC 689076793575; lot 026,027,029;
- 16-ounce unsalted Izzie Macs! Macadamia Nuts in plastic bags, UPC 689076792776; lot 026,027,029;
- 16-ounce salted Izzie Macs! Macadamia Nuts in plastic bags, UPC 689076792974; lot 026,027,029;
- 5-pound salted and unsalted, wholes and pieces bulk macadamia nuts, no UPC; lot 026,027,029;
- 12-ounce Baby Bruddah’s Mac Nut Buttah in plastic tubs, UPC 753182242019; lot 026,027,029; and
- 12-ounce Baby Bruddah’s Chocolate Mac Nut Buttah in plastic tubs, UPC 73518224204; lot 026,027,029.