The Muskegon County Department of Health reports that preliminary results from the Michigan Department of Community Health have shown the presence of a common foodborne illness-causing bacteria called Clostridium perfringens in a sample tested from Bonicki’s Restaurant and Sports Bistro. Public health officials had reported receiving at least six calls from local customers who fell ill between April 3 and April 6. Clostridium perfringens is found throughout the environment in soils, sediment, and the intestines of animals and humans. The bacteria typically cause illness when foods are served after improper storage or held at inadequate storage temperatures. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers Clostridium Perfringens one of the most common causes of foodborne illness in the United States and estimates that it is the cause of nearly a million cases of foodborne illness each year. Bonicki’s General Manager Karen Mead responded to the news with a prepared statement: “We, the Bonicki’s family, apologize for the recent event,” she said. “We would like to thank the community, our loyal customers and the Muskegon County health department.”