Ten people were sick and one died in China this past year after eating a toxic plant.

The food poisoning was caused by the wild plant Anisodus tanguticus, which contains tropane alkaloids.

The outbreak occurred in a remote village on the Tibetan Plateau, according to a study published in China CDC Weekly.

Patients included nine males and one female aged 27 to 57 years old. They were migrant workers for a construction company in Henan Province involved in road maintenance. They lived in three tents around the work site on a temporary basis.

In mid-July 2021, 30 minutes after dinner

Continue Reading Toxic plant caused illness and death in China

A German survey has looked at what food issues the population is concerned about.

Half of the respondents think that food bought in Germany is safe and 44 percent think that food safety will continue to increase, said Andreas Hensel, BfR president. Only 12 percent said food was not safe and 18 percent said food safety is decreasing.

The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment’s (BfR) consumer monitor looks at people’s perception of health risks.

Half of the respondents are concerned about antibiotic resistance and microplastics in food, found the poll which is done every six months. More than 1,000
Continue Reading Survey reveals food safety concerns in Germany; consumers urged to be wary of wild garlic

French authorities have warned the public about the risks of confusing toxic and edible plants after the death of a man last month.

In June, a 63-year-old man died after eating water hemlock — also known as water dropwort —  after confusing it with root parsley that he grew and picked in his own garden. Between 2012 and 2019, poison control centers in the country recorded 15 other cases in which water hemlock was confused with an edible plant.

The French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) called for greater vigilance and issued advice on avoiding
Continue Reading Death spurs plant warning in France; similar circumstance in Hong Kong