Fortuitous weather and the increasing popularity of wild mushrooms combined in California to make a particularly dangerous foraging season this past winter and public health officials say the threat is ongoing.

NAMA_mushroom Warning_PosterFourteen people were confirmed with poisoning from unknowingly eating Amanita phalloides — commonly known as death cap mushrooms — during a two-week period in…

Several Los Angeles children were sickened last week after sampling a toxic mushroom growing in a community garden at their neighborhood school. At least two of them, including a 10-year-old boy, were taken to a local hospital for treatment, and the garden is now closed.

The culprit was identified as Amanita pantherina, or Panther cap …