Estancia Holdings, of Cumming, GA, is recalling one lot of Tome Corse Sheep Ottavi because of potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
On June 22, 2023, Estancia Holdings was notified by the French supplier that a wheel they received may be contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes.
One case from the affected lot was imported the week of June 9 and it was sold the same week to a distributor in Portland, OR.
- Wheels have Ottavi dairy label on top and are wrapped in clear plastic.
|Product||Size||LOT#||Use By Date|
|Fromager Ottavi Tome De Brebis Sheep Milk Cheese||2 x 3.5kg||VC349||08/05/2023|
As of the posting of this recall, no illnesses have been reported.
All customers of the Portland, OR distributor that received cheese from the affected Lot, have been contacted by the distributor.
Consumers who have purchased this product should not consume it and return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or discard the product.
About Listeria infections
Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still cause serious and sometimes life-threatening infections. Anyone who has eaten any recalled cheese and developed symptoms of Listeria infection should seek medical treatment and tell their doctors about the possible Listeria exposure.
Also, anyone who has eaten any of the recalled product should monitor themselves for symptoms during the coming weeks because it can take up to 70 days after exposure to Listeria for symptoms of listeriosis to develop.
Symptoms of Listeria infection can include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache, and neck stiffness. Specific laboratory tests are required to diagnose Listeria infections, which can mimic other illnesses.
Pregnant women, the elderly, young children, and people such as cancer patients who have weakened immune systems are particularly at risk of serious illnesses, life-threatening infections, and other complications. Although infected pregnant women may experience only mild, flu-like symptoms, their infections can lead to premature delivery, infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)