General Mills Inc. has initiated a nationwide recall of four flavors of Nature Valley brand protein and nut bars because of possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes of sunflower kernels provided by SunOpta Inc. “The four flavors of Nature Valley bars that are part of the recall were distributed to retail establishments throughout the United States. Consumers are asked to check their pantries and dispose of the products affected by this recall, regardless of when they were purchased or what date is on the package, according to the General Mills recall notice on the Food and Drug Administration website. “Consumers who have had to discard products covered by this recall may contact General Mills Consumer Relations at 866-896-4365 for a replacement.” The company reported it has not received “any direct consumer reports of confirmed illnesses related to this supplier issue.” This voluntary recall includes the following products currently in stores or consumers’ pantries:
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar Honey, Peanut & Almond with Pumpkin Seeds, packaged in five-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-47196;
- Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bar-Peanut, Almond & Dark Chocolate packaged in five-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-45724;
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar Roasted Peanut & Honey packaged in four-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-46475;
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar Roasted Peanut & Honey packaged in 16-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-41308;
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt packaged in four-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-46474; and
- Nature Valley Simple Nut Bar Almond, Cashew & Sea Salt packaged in 25-count boxes with the UPC number 000-16000-41301.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)