Three more E. coli infections have now been confirmed in people who ate smoked ready-to-eat meat products processed in Wisconsin.
In late December, the Marathon County Health Department identified four people who became sick after eating E. coli-contaminated smoked meat products made from wild game and purchased at Zillman Meat Market in Wausau. On Tuesday, the health department said all seven people were infected with E. coli O45.
The additional cases identified by the health department involve meat products purchased before the time of the original announcement. According to a news release, the cases involved meat products purchased in Wausau that were shared with family members in Michigan.
The custom smoked meat products were processed from Sept. 30, 2010, through Dec. 23, 2010.© Food Safety News