Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

E. coli

Officials Suspect Pet Goat Was Source of E. Coli

Serena Profitt

Public health officials in Oregon suspect that the 4-year-old girl who died from an E. coli infection in September was infected by droppings from the family’s pet goat, according to a report by Lynne Terry at The Oregonian. However, lab tests have not been conclusive, and the state health department is still working to try… Continue Reading

Test Uses Low-Tech Litmus Paper to Detect E. Coli

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-colored-litmus-paper-hand-image9280180

Litmus paper, long known as a low-tech method of testing substances for acidity, might have a new use as a cheap, quick way to test for E. coli, according to researchers at McMaster University in Ontario. The researchers correlated levels of E. coli bacteria with pH values represented by the colors to which the litmus… Continue Reading

Possible E. Coli Case Reported on Mercer Island

http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-escherichia-coli-bacteria-petri-plate-inoculating-loop-spreading-image32972005

The King County Public Health Department is reporting that a child from the city of Mercer Island, WA, has fallen ill with a presumptive infection of E. coli O157:H7. The child has not been hospitalized. The city has been under multiple water boil advisories for possible E. coli contamination, including one that is still in effect. After… Continue Reading

U.K. Raw Milk Dairy Issues Recall for Potential E. Coli

RawMilkSplashMain

Barton Farm Dairy in the English parish of Kentisbury is recalling all sizes of its raw milk due to a potential link to two cases of E. coli O157:H7 infection, according to the U.K. Food Standards Agency. Customers who purchased the milk are advised not to consume the products. They’ve also been advised to contact the… Continue Reading

KY Health Official Warns Residents About the Risks of Unpasteurized Milk

PouringRawMilkMain

The Kentucky Department for Public Health has not been able to identify the source of the E. coli outbreak that sickened five children in early September, despite the work of raw milk journalist David Gumpert to bring the link between the children’s illnesses and raw milk to the public’s attention. However, on Tuesday the department put… Continue Reading

Children in KY E. Coli Outbreak Drank Milk From Raw Milk Dairy

rawmilkjug_406x250

(Editor’s note: This article has been updated to reflect a communication from the Kentucky Department for Public Health.) The four Kentucky children hospitalized in an E. coli outbreak earlier this month all consumed milk from the same raw milk dairy, according to multiple reports and the mother of one of the sickened children. The Kentucky Department… Continue Reading

Update: Mercer Island Boil Water Advisory Lifted, Restaurants Can Reopen After Inspection

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-filling-glass-tap-water-image14668963

Update: As of Sept. 29, the boil-water advisory has lifted for Mercer Island. All restaurants should remain closed until receiving a visit from a public health inspector. The city of Mercer Island in Washington state is advising residents to boil their water before drinking, or to use bottled water after samples showed the presences of E…. Continue Reading

What Parents Need to Know About E. Coli

SickChildMain

September has proven to be a tragic month in terms of E. coli infecting children. At the beginning of the month, two young girls in the Pacific Northwest died from unrelated E. coli O157:H7 infections. First, the bacteria took the life of 4-year-old Oregonian Serena Profitt on Sept. 8, and then, days later, 3-year-old Brooklyn… Continue Reading

Oregon Restaurant Ruled Out as the Source of Recent E. Coli Infections

Aubrie Utter

The Lincoln County Public Health Division in Newport, OR, announced Wednesday that the restaurant in Otis, OR, where Serena Profitt, 4, and her friend, Brad Sutton, 5, shared a turkey sandwich over Labor Day weekend was not the source of E. coli infection that later killed the girl, hospitalized her friend, and may have sickened a… Continue Reading