Health officials have temporarily closed a restaurant in Bakersfield, Calif. after four people who ate there were diagnosed with Salmonella poisoning.
Kern County Environmental Health inspectors said the four people patronized the Don Perico Mexican and seafood restaurant, at 4701 White Lane, during the same time period in the past two weeks. Two of the infected people remain hospitalized.
The restaurant was ordered closed on Thursday so that health officials could further investigate.
The Bakersfield outbreak does not appear to be connected to the national recall of Salmonella-tainted eggs from Iowa, the Kern County health officials said.
Salmonella is bacteria that can cause abdominal cramps, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms typically develop from 12 to 72 hours after exposure.© Food Safety News