Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Ohio Packer Recalls Veal for E. coli

An Ohio slaughtering and meat packing facility specializing in beef, pork, lamb, and veal is recalling product because of potential E. coli O157:H7 contamination.

Bristolville-based Mehan Packing recalled 772 pounds of veal in nine carcasses.  The recalled veal carcasses were delivered to:

  • Rulli Brothers, 4331 Kirk Road, Austintown, Ohio 44511
  • Zagreb Meats, 6706 St. Clair, Cleveland, Ohio 44103
  • Sebastian Meats, 1979 West 25th, Cleveland, Ohio 44113

The suspect veal was delivered to the three local meat markets between Dec. 16 and 21.

Ohio’s Department of Agriculture’s Consumer Analytical Laboratory confirmed a positive test result for the dangerous E. coli O157:H7 bacteria from a sample taken from Mahan Packing on Dec. 16.

The product tested at Mahan’s was not shipped, it was determined that the 772 pounds of veal that was shipped also had the potential to be contaminated.

No illnesses have been associated with the recall.

Owner Ray Mahan said: “We are confidant that this is an isolated incident and that our food safety programs are designed to produce a safe and wholesome product.  We voluntarily are withdrawing these products to ensure the safety of our customers.”
Mehan asked customers not to consume any of the veal and return the product to the store where it was purchased.
E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure.   Children, the elderly, and persons with compromised immune systems are most susceptible to foodborne illnesses.

Mehan’s products were distributed solely within Ohio.  According to the food safety database maintained by Ohio’s Department of Agriculture, Mehan has not had any other recent product recalls.
A food safety coordinator at Mehan told the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the recall is strictly precautionary and the company “truly believes there’s no danger” to consumers.

© Food Safety News