Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Victim Stories

Subscribe to the Victim Stories Section RSS Feed

Parents haunted by decisions as raw milk’s impact lingers

The Combs family, from left, Zeke, Jubilee, Brandon, Sarah with Lilia on her lap, and Titus.

“I don’t know where to stick her; she doesn’t have any veins left.” That’s a medical specialist talking as she examined 3-year-old Jubilee Combs, a patient at a Kentucky hospital undergoing dialysis for a severe kidney disease acquired from drinking unpasteurized raw milk. That was two years ago while the little girl was being treated… Continue Reading

Victim warns expectant moms about food safety complications

Baby born prematurely with listeriosis after mother ate contaminated cantaloupe

Listeria baby Kendall 406x250

Almost 5 years old now, Kendall Paciorek is right on track. She can walk, run, talk and say her ABCs. And while that normal progression of abilities common to many children her age might not seem all that impressive, to her mother and father Michelle Wakley-Paciorek and Dave Paciorek, it’s “a miracle.” Little Kendall was… Continue Reading

Mother of Jack in The Box outbreak victim dies

Screen-Shot-2016-01-12-at-8.55.15-AM

Suzanne Kiner, food safety advocate and mother of one of the child victims of the infamous 1993 Jack in The Box E. coli outbreak, died Jan. 5, 2016, at age 67. Kiner’s daughter Brianne was 9 years old in 1993 when she contracted what developed into a life-threatening infection from E. coli in a fast food hamburger…. Continue Reading

NE Couple Wins $11.37-Million Judgment in Salmonella Case

Old Country Buffet

Back in October 2010, Chris and Heather Gage were 120 miles away from their home in Bridgeport, NE, and decided to dine at the Old Country Buffet in Cheyenne, WY. Chris Gage was medically compromised going into the restaurant, but when he left, he was infected with Salmonella bacteria, which left him forever damaged. Gage’s reaction… Continue Reading

Update: Two Maine Boys Were Infected by Same Strain of E. Coli

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-boy-feeding-animals-grandmother-helps-her-grandson-feed-calf-lamb-farm-image40969184

Oct. 9 update: A state epidemiologist with the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday that the two boys who became ill after visiting a petting zoo last month were both infected by E. coli O111. “The strain and molecular typing from each patient was identical, making it highly likely that the cases acquired the… Continue Reading

Schacht Interview: Using Restaurant Inspection Data to Improve Public Health

sarahs-schacht-interview

Open government consultant and food safety advocate Sarah Schacht sat down with Food Safety News at the 2015 Food Safety Summit in Baltimore, MD, last month to talk about how data from restaurant inspections can help improve public health. Schacht is a two-time E. coli survivor who has been spearheading efforts in Seattle’s King County to improve… Continue Reading

Detwiler Interview: Food Safety from a Consumer Perspective

darin-detwiler-406

Darin Detwiler, adjunct faculty at Northeastern University and Senior Policy Coordinator at STOP Foodborne Illness, sat down with Food Safety News at the 2015 Food Safety Summit in Baltimore, MD, last month to discuss food safety from a consumer perspective. Detwiler’s son, Riley, was one of four children who died in the 1993 Jack in… Continue Reading

Mom Honors Her Daughter’s Memory With ‘Playroom Project’

Olivia Cruz, 3, died from E. coli infection last May

Olivia Cruz

It’s been nearly a year since her daughter, Olivia, 3, passed away from complications relating to an E. coli infection, and Haley Cruz wants something positive to come from the tragedy. Along with a bakery in Van Alstyne, TX, named after her daughter, Sweet Olivia’s Bake Shoppe, Cruz has started a special project to help… Continue Reading

Listeria Victims Address FDA, Food Industry Officials in D.C.

Brad Frey holds his phone while a video plays of his parents dancing in their driveway two years ago. His mother, Shirlee Jean, died from a Listeria infection in December after eating a contaminated caramel apple. Frey and other victims shared their stories with federal lawmakers last week in Washington D.C.

A year ago, Brad Frey never would have imagined he’d be standing in front of officials from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and urging them to do more to prevent outbreaks of Listeria monocytogenes. Despite living in the middle of “crop country” outside Santa Cruz, CA, he had never heard of Listeria monocytogenes, a foodborne bacteria less well-known… Continue Reading

Texas Salmonella Outbreak at 59 Cases; Lawsuit Filed

At least 59 people have reportedly been sickened in a Salmonella outbreak connected in part to the Ten in Texas steakhouse in Dalhart, TX. One of the restaurant’s customers who was sickened, Frances Childers, is filing a lawsuit against the restaurant. Her attorneys say that she suffered from kidney failure, along with abdominal pains, nausea and muscle aches…. Continue Reading