Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

For Foodies

Subscribe to the For Foodies Section RSS Feed

Chipotle blames restaurant staff for outbreak; reports on 2Q

Chain tells investors future is bright but uncertain; cites possible litigation, 'government action'

The summertime fall of Chipotle’s stock, which began a week ago when customers reported a norovirus outbreak, isn’t reflected in the chain’s 2Q financials. But foodborne illnesses past and present were an undercurrent Tuesday during an investors’ conference call with executives. Founder and CEO Steve Ells alluded to the cause of the norovirus outbreak among… Continue Reading

FDA echoes CDC: Fresh papayas linked to Salmonella outbreak

One dead, 46 sick across 12 states; outbreaks in 2010, 2011 also linked to Mexican papayas

No recall has been issued, but Food and Drug Administration officials are warning the public against eating Maradol papayas from Mexico in general — and Caribeña brand specifically — because they have been linked to a Salmonella outbreak. One person in New York City has died and 46 others across 12 states have been confirmed… Continue Reading

Lab confirms norovirus in Chipotle customer; at least 60 sick

An announcement by local health officials that they have identified at least 60 people who became sick after eating at a Chipotle Mexican Grill location in Virginia this past weekend combined with a viral video of rodents in a Dallas location Thursday to drive the company’s stock to a four-year low. At least one of… Continue Reading

Chipotle reopens as customers continue to report illnesses

The Chipotle Mexican Grill location in Virginia that was closed Monday after customer complaints of foodborne illnesses reopened in time for the lunch rush Wednesday with CEO Steve Ells saying he is confident in the safety of the chain’s food. Loudoun County Health Director David Goodfriend did not include many specific details about the suspected… Continue Reading

Raw oyster consumption continues, as do vibriosis outbreaks

Since the beginning of June, Public Health Officials have investigated multiple reports of people developing vibriosis symptoms after consuming raw oysters at several restaurants and markets in Seattle-King County area. There are now 25 confirmed and probable victims who all experienced the watery diarrhea, abdominal cramping and vomiting of vibriosis, as reported by Public Health of Seattle-King County. “Environmental health inspectors conducted on site investigations to ensure… Continue Reading

Chipotle mum on status of restaurant linked to outbreak

No one was answering the phone at the Chipotle Mexican Grill on Tripleseven Road in Sterling, VA, Tuesday evening and no one from the chain’s corporate headquarters in Denver was answering questions about when they might reopen the location, which is implicated in an ongoing foodborne illness outbreak. Earlier in the day the corporation’s public… Continue Reading

Importer recalls ground cumin after NY inspectors find lead

A New York import-export company is recalling an undisclosed volume of ground cumin because it was found to be contaminated with lead. Sol Andino Import & Export of Jackson Heights, NY, distributed the ground cumin to retail stores in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, according to the recall notice. Consumers can identify the recalled… Continue Reading

Second restaurant linked to illnesses involving raw oysters

For the second time this week Seattle health officials reported that people who recently ate raw oysters there became sick. Six people in two dinner parties who ate raw oysters at the White Swan Public House restaurant on June 30 and July 3 became sick with gastric symptoms consistent with vibriosis, according to a Thursday… Continue Reading

Raw oysters suspected in outbreak; thorough cooking advised

Gastroenteritis illnesses among customers of a Seattle seafood restaurant who ate raw oysters there in June have caught the attention of public health officials, who posted a public notice Wednesday. One person has tested positive for vibriosis infection caused by the Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria and two others have symptoms consistent with vibriosis, according to the… Continue Reading