Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Las Vegas Restaurant

At least 39 people fell ill with Salmonella infections after eating at a popular dining establishment in Las Vegas, according to local health authorities.

The outbreak was linked to Firefly, a tapas restaurant located on Paradise Road, according to the Southern Nevada Health District, which is leading the investigation.

The restaurant was closed Friday after health officials pinpointed the establishment as the likely source of the Salmonella cases, and remained closed as of Monday, reported KLAS-TV.

The restaurant was also cited for more than 40 health violations and fined $700, according to KLAS-TV.

“We understand that it is being reported that the cause of the food borne illness at Firefly was caused by salmonella,” said Firefly owner John Simmons in a statement Tuesday. “We have not received any official notification from the Health District on this, but we are pleased to see that the investigation is moving forward. We continue to work closely with officials as we, too, are anxious to find the cause and make this right.”

Health officials say the restaurant will remain closed until the investigation is complete.

Symptoms of Salmonella infection generally appear between 6 and 72 hours after exposure to the bacteria, and include fever, nausea, headache, abdominal cramping, vomiting and diarrhea. If you think you may have contracted a Salmonella infection, contact your healthcare provider.

 

© Food Safety News
  • Oginikwe

    40 health violations and a fine of only $700? Really? That averages out to $17.50 a violation. Big deal.

    • mjv64

      In some state local health district can’t even issue any fine regardless how many violations a restaurant or store has.