A Colorado-based company is recalling a limited number of tapanades, cheeses and salsas because they may contain onions that were recalled last week due to potential contamination with Listeria.
Sartori Inspirations LLC issued the voluntary recall Thursday after Gills Onions of Oxnard, California recalled some of its diced yellow onions on July 18 because a sample had tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. Sartori makes some of its products with these onions.
Those products – sold at some Whole Foods Market stores – include tapanades, smoked gouda, pimento cheese, spinach feta dip and a variety of salsas packaged in both 7 oz. clear plastic and 5 lb. white plastic tubs. The following is a list of the specific products subject to recall. Code information can be found on the side of each container.
– Kalamata Tapenade (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001416, lot code KT21921 and a best by date of 8/14/12
– Kalamata Tapenade (5 lb) marked with lot code KX21921 and a best by date of 8/7/12
– Mediterranean Tapenade (7 oz) marked with UPCs 892210001447 or 892210001447, lot code MT21911 or MT21921 and a best by date of 8/13/12 or 8/14/12
– Mediterranean Tapenade (5 lb) marked with lot code MX21921 and a best by date of 8/7/12
– Tex Mex Smoked Gouda (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001539, lot code TM21931 and a best by date of 8/10/12
– Smoked Gouda (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001522, lot code SG21931 and a best by date of 8/10/12
– Pimento Cheese (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001454, lot code PM21931 and a best by date of 8/10/12
– Jalapeno Pimento Cheese (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001409, lot code JC21931 and a best by 8/10/12
– Mango Salsa (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001362, lot code MS21991 and a best by date of 8/14/12
– Spinach Feta Dip (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001461, lot code FS21931 and a best by date of 8/8/12
– Famous Thick Salsa (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001089, lot code FT21921 and a best by date of 8/7/12
– Salsa Cream Cheese (7 oz) marked with UPC 892210001126, lot code SC21931 and a best by date of 8/8/12
Sartori notified Whole Foods of the recall on Friday, July 20 and requested that Whole Foods withdraw all affected products from its shelves. Whole Foods stores that had received the foods are located in the following states: AR, CO, CT, KS, KY, LA, MA, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, UT, VA and WA.
Consumers who may have purchased the recalled items are urged not to consume it and to return it to the Whole Foods where it was purchased for a full refund.
Gills Expands Previous Recall
Gills Onions has issued another recall of product since last week, expanding its original recall to include whole peeled yellow onions sold under the “Western Onion” label with a “best by” date of August 3 or before and UPC 643550000504. All other products subject to the expanded recall are the same products listed in the original recall but now include all those with best by dates of August 3 or before instead of just those with best by dates of July 20 or before as originally listed.
No illnesses have been related to consumption of the recalled onions or products with which they were made to date.
Symptoms of Listeria infection include fever, headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
If you think you may have contracted a Listeria infection, contact your healthcare provider.© Food Safety News