Minnesota health officials have identified dinner rolls as the likely source of bacteria which sickened dozens of Old Country Buffet diners in Maple Grove, MN, in January.
The rolls were likely cross-contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis from raw chicken used in the restaurant, Minnesota Department of Health spokesman Doug Schultz reportedly said.
The state’s joint investigation with Hennepin County found that 36 people were probably sickened by the bacteria after eating at the restaurant between Jan. 11 and Feb. 11, with most of those who became ill eating there on Jan. 25. One person was hospitalized.
Since the outbreak occurred, the restaurant staff has been retrained about food safety and inspections have increased.
Salmonella is most often linked to undercooked eggs and poultry. Salmonella infections cause fever, stomach cramps and diarrhea.© Food Safety News