Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Update: Two Hospitalized in Indiana After Eating Skittles, No Unusual Chemical Substances Found

Indiana health officials have found no unusual chemical substances in packages of Original Skittles sold at a Richmond, IN, Marathon Food Mart.

Possible contamination of two lots of Original Skittles was determined when field testing showed preliminary chemical results on March 5. These results are unsubstantiated as no toxins were found in the candy.

The tests were prompted by the sudden illness of two people who ate from a package of  Skittles on the afternoon of March 4. The individuals visited Reid Hospital and were treated for burning throats, cramping and diarrhea and have been released from the hospital.

As a precaution to protect public safety, the Indiana State Department of Health issued a warning yesterday, based on test results conducted with equipment available in the field. It is not uncommon for equipment available in the field to yield results that are found to be different than those obtained in a laboratory test, which is why lab tests are conducted for confirmation.

The Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Food and Drug Administration were investigating whether someone tampered with the package and authorities initially warned those with a bag of Skittles with the lot numbers 08JUL14 023 or 01DEC14 023 not to eat the candy and to contact the Indiana State police.

Now that advanced testing has determined no presence of unusual chemical substances, the state police are closing the investigation. There is no further need to collect samples of Skittles purchased from the Marathon Food Mart.

“The safety of our consumers and the quality of our products are our top priorities,” said Wrigley spokesperson Denise Young. “We commend the Indiana State Department of Health for their swift and thorough investigation into this issue.”

(Editor’s note: The headline of a previous version of this article stated that specific packages of Skittles had been recalled. This was incorrect, and Food Safety News regrets the error.)

© Food Safety News
  • Je

    The skittles were probably consumed way past their expiration date.

    • FoodSci

      What possesses people to post utterly inane things like this? Candy like Skittles could be 10 years past their expiration date and they wouldn’t make anyone even mildly ill, let alone sick enough to need treatment at a hospital.

    • woman15r

      Exactly what FoodSci said… in addition, READ the article before you make inaccurate statements. The expiration dates are included (December and July of 2014). Newsflash- it is BEFORE those dates.

  • Victor Grunden

    The article indicates field tests showed toxins but doesn’t indicate which toxins. A few weeks ago candy with TCH was showing up in the Indianapolis area, +/- 50 miles from Richmond, and people were warned about eating candy that was not in commercial packaging. Hopefully a thorough investigation of all possibilities was done, but I doubt it.

  • JasonP