Food made with ingredients produced by the peanut butter plant at Portales, NM is being recalled in ever greater numbers after Sunland Inc. rolled back the start date for its salmonella problem by two years.
Sunland Inc. on Oct. 4 moved the start date for its own recall of all production from the Portales plant to March 1, 2010. Sunland made a peanut butter brand for Trader Joe’s that was associated on Sept. 20 to a multistate outbreak of the rare Salmonella Bredeney strain.
The expanded Sunland recall includes all the peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter and Tahini products as well as its roasted blanched peanut products. Many of these products end up as ingredients in other products, and bring about expanded timeframes for those recalls too.
Several of the of secondary recalls that have already followed on the Sunland Inc. action includes:
- The SunRidge Farms brand has recalled four bulk items containing peanut butter supplied by Sunland and manufactured during the expanded recall period.
- Kilwins stores recalled sugar free peanut butter fudge bars with Sunland ingredients sold in its retail stores.
- Talenti Gelato is recalling Talenti Chocolate Peanut Cup Gelato sold between September 2011 and September 2012.
- General Mills recalled more Cascadian Farm Snack Bars containing peanuts.
- BGC Manufacturing recalled its Goldenbrook Farms Peanut Butter Bash ice cream sold at Brookshire Grocery stores between May 2010 and September 2012.
- Rich Products Corp. recalled Jon Donaire® peanut butter cup, ice cream cake, and TCBY® peanut butter fudge deep dish frozen yogurt pie.
- Clemmy’s Ice Cream recalled its pint-size Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, which it began distributing nationwide in March 2011 through grocery stores.
- Belfonte Ice Cream and Dairy Foods Company recalled its Almond Butter, Peanut Butter and Cashew Butter, Tahini and Roasted Blanched peanut products.
- Chattanooga Bakery Inc. expanded its recall of products containing Sunland ingredients to cover the extended period, including its MoonPie® Crunch Peanut Butter product.