More than a few years ago, I made a decision that I never dreamed would result in one of my children having to fight for his life. I was looking for a way to improve my children’s immune systems. I was in the process of removing as many processed foods as possible from our daily…

September has proven to be a tragic month in terms of E. coli infecting children. At the beginning of the month, two young girls in the Pacific Northwest died from unrelated E. coli O157:H7 infections. First, the bacteria took the life of 4-year-old Oregonian Serena Profitt on Sept. 8, and then, days later, 3-year-old Brooklyn

Dana Dziadul, a 16-year-old from Wake Forest, NC, has been a tireless advocate for food safety since she became a victim of foodborne illness, and she is now the author of a free children’s book about safe food practices. “Food Safety Superstar” teaches kids four practices for staying safe: washing hands, cleaning counters and tables,…

(Editor’s note: These are short profiles of victims of the 2008-09 Salmonella outbreak linked to Peanut Corporation of America products. The jury in the PCA criminal trial is due to resume its deliberations on Thursday morning in Albany, GA.) Shirley Almer Shirley Almer resided in Brainerd, MN. She owned a family bowling alley in Wadena,…

Health officials in Oregon are testing several possible contaminants that could be the source of the E. coli infection that killed a 4-year-old Oregon girl this week, but they warn that the source may never be found.

Serena Profitt
Serena Profitt died on Monday in Portland after suffering from an E.…

A 4-year-old Oregon girl has died from medical complications possibly resulting from an E. coli infection contracted sometime just before Labor Day weekend, according to the girl’s uncle, who spoke with Food Safety News. Serena Profitt of Otis, OR, died Monday at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland. Her symptoms of E. coli infection first…

Alex Donley was a tender-hearted 6-year-old who dreamed of someday being a paramedic when he was stricken with an E. coli infection in 1993 after eating a hamburger made from contaminated ground beef. Four days later, he died in a hospital room after suffering a horrific bout of hemolytic uremic syndrome, a kidney disease stemming…

If you were sickened by Salmonella in eggs from Wright County Egg in 2010, the U.S. Attorney’s Office may be looking to speak with you. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Iowa is seeking information from people sickened between the beginning of 2010 and August 2010 by eggs from Wright County Egg,…