A lawsuit was filed this week in the Southern District Court of California against Sodexo Inc. on behalf of Illinois resident who has permanent brain damage from an E. coli O157:H7 infection he contracted from food served at the cafeteria and mess hall of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

Sodexo, a…

Editor’s note: This opinion column by Richard Raymond was originally published by feedstuffs.com and is reprinted here with permission.

Lives were lost but because of the losses many more lives have subsequently been lived happily and disease free, at least free of diseases spread by contaminated food.

Twenty-five years ago, Riley Detwiler of Bellingham, WA,…

My friend, Darin Detwiler, let me post this for him tonight for tomorrow:

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the day the last of four young children died during the landmark 1993 Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak.

Riley Edward Detwiler

I learned about the reality of this foodborne pathogen…

Chicken salad purchased at Costco, which turned out to be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, has ravaged the life of a 20-year-old Utah woman who’s had to give up her lifelong goal of acting on Broadway.

Attorneys for Chloe Rodgerson Monday sued the Seattle-based Costco Wholesale Corp. in U.S. District Court for the Central Division…

Editor’s note: This is the first of a two-part series about food allergies and the efforts by public health agencies, schools, legislators and parents to make it easier and safer for allergic individuals to manage risks.

A chronic disease with no known cure. An emerging epidemic that affects up to 15 million people in the…

Riley Detwiler full frameExactly 24 years ago today my 16-month-old son Riley died from E.coli/HUS during the 1993 “Jack in the Box” outbreak. He was the last of the four young children who paid the ultimate price for failures in food safety protocols at that time.

The landmark outbreak is often referred to as the 9/11 of the…

At age 3, Jubilee Combs had to spend three weeks in the hospital and undergo dialysis treatments after contracting an E. coli infection fro drinking unpasteurized raw milk.
At age 3, Jubilee Combs had to spend three weeks in the hospital and undergo dialysis treatments after contracting an E. coli infection fro drinking unpasteurized raw milk.

“I don’t know where to stick her; she doesn’t have any veins left.”

That’s a medical specialist talking as she examined 3-year-old Jubilee…

Almost 5 years old now, Kendall Paciorek is right on track. She can walk, run, talk and say her ABCs. And while that normal progression of abilities common to many children her age might not seem all that impressive, to her mother and father Michelle Wakley-Paciorek and Dave Paciorek, it’s “a miracle.” Listeria baby Kendall 406x520Little Kendall was…

Suzanne Kiner, food safety advocate and mother of one of the child victims of the infamous 1993 Jack in The Box E. coli outbreak, died Jan. 5, 2016, at age 67.

Kiner’s daughter Brianne was 9 years old in 1993 when she contracted what developed into a life-threatening infection from E. coli in a fast…