Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Patrick Quade

Naughty and Nice thoughts about 2017

Opinion

Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue would make a great Jolly Old Elf. In fact, he’s looked upon as Santa Claus in about 300 congressional districts where a visit from the Secretary of Agriculture is an event much like Christmas morning. The range and depth of the USDA bag of goodies now carried by the Secretary… Continue Reading

iwaspoisoned.com alerts officials to outbreak at Georgia Tech

For at least the third time this year, the crowd-sourced website iwaspoisoned.com has identified a foodborne illness outbreak, this time among students who ate at a Georgia Tech dining hall. The “North Avenue Dining Hall” at the university in Atlanta started showing up in reports on the foodborne illness website in the past couple of… Continue Reading

Chipotle reopens as customers continue to report illnesses

The Chipotle Mexican Grill location in Virginia that was closed Monday after customer complaints of foodborne illnesses reopened in time for the lunch rush Wednesday with CEO Steve Ells saying he is confident in the safety of the chain’s food. Loudoun County Health Director David Goodfriend did not include many specific details about the suspected… Continue Reading

Chipotle mum on status of restaurant linked to outbreak

No one was answering the phone at the Chipotle Mexican Grill on Tripleseven Road in Sterling, VA, Tuesday evening and no one from the chain’s corporate headquarters in Denver was answering questions about when they might reopen the location, which is implicated in an ongoing foodborne illness outbreak. Earlier in the day the corporation’s public… Continue Reading

Chipotle customers report illnesses; one location closed

More than a dozen people have reported becoming ill after eating at a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant in Virginia, which is temporarily closed for cleaning amidst denials from corporate officials and dropping stock prices. “The reported symptoms are consistent with norovirus. Norovirus does not come from our food supply, and it is safe to eat… Continue Reading

Crowdsourcing was right about Weston Jimmy John’s outbreak

Iwaspoisoned.com, the crowdsourcing site for safer dining, was correct in finding norovirus was making people sick after they ate at the Weston Jimmy John’s near Wausau, WI. The Marathon County Health Department reports a norovirus outbreak was responsible for making about 100 people since April 7.  The department began collecting reports from people who picked… Continue Reading

Illness reports from Wisconsin Jimmy Johns show up on crowdsourcing site

The Weston, WI Jimmy John’s restaurant is being investigated by the Marathon County Health Department over possible food poisoning.  “We have received some complaints and are doing follow-up,” Health and safety director Dale Grosskurth said. “It’s a full investigation.” The crowdsourcing site  iwaspoisoned.com reports collecting  eight reports with a 19 total illnesses, according to spokesman… Continue Reading

Who ya gonna call? Iowa outbreak busters launch hotline

If you’ve got food poisoning, Iowa’s got your number — and its toll free — 844-IowaSic. Patricia Quinlisk, medical director for the Iowa Department of Public Health, said the announcement of the number for the state’s new food poisoning detection and response initiative Monday should reduce the number of foodborne illnesses, citing the importance of… Continue Reading

States’ using iwaspoisoned.com for outbreak alerts

The crowdsourcing site iwaspoisoned.com has collected thousands of reports of foodborne illnesses from individuals across the United States since 2009 and is expanding with a custom alert service for state health departments. “There are now 26 states signed up, allowing government (health) officials and epidemiologists to receive real time, customized alerts for reported foodborne illness incidents,”… Continue Reading

Crowdsourcing Gathers Foodborne Illness Reports Together On One Site

After suffering through three bouts of foodborne illness and not being able to do much about it, Patrick Quade decided to try and help others who find themselves in a similar position. He established a website in 2009 for people to report their experiences of being sickened by restaurant food. “The one where I had the… Continue Reading