Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

mushrooms

Authorities urge caution when hunting, eating wild mushrooms

As seasonal rains promote the growth of wild mushrooms, California Department of Public Health Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith is again reminding people that eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness and even death. Unseasonably warm, wet weather in other areas of the country is also prompting mushroom growth where frozen ground and… Continue Reading

Briefly: Pufferfish poison — Sail or fail — CRISPR mushrooms

Every hour of every day people around the world are living with and working to resolve food safety issues. Here is a sampling of current headlines for your consumption, brought to you today with the support of Alchemy Systems. Emergency alert about ‘fugu’ aka pufferfish Gamagori City in Japan issued an emergency alert Monday after two people ate  portions… Continue Reading

Death caps pose year-round threat to mushroom lovers

Fortuitous weather and the increasing popularity of wild mushrooms combined in California to make a particularly dangerous foraging season this past winter and public health officials say the threat is ongoing. Fourteen people were confirmed with poisoning from unknowingly eating Amanita phalloides — commonly known as death cap mushrooms — during a two-week period in… Continue Reading

Michigan governor nixes bill to kill mushroom certification

An anti-regulation bill that would have eliminated a training requirement for people selling wild mushrooms to food establishments in Michigan has been vetoed by Gov. Rick Snyder. The measure, HB 5532, was approved along party lines by the Republican-controlled Michigan House of Representatives and Senate — 57-52 in the House and 26-11 with one not voting… Continue Reading

L.A. school garden closed after children sickened by mushroom

Several Los Angeles children were sickened last week after sampling a toxic mushroom growing in a community garden at their neighborhood school. At least two of them, including a 10-year-old boy, were taken to a local hospital for treatment, and the garden is now closed. The culprit was identified as Amanita pantherina, or Panther cap mushroom,… Continue Reading

Salami, Mushrooms Recalled in Canada for Listeria Contamination

Avina Fresh Mushrooms brand sliced crimini mushrooms and Marc Angelo brand Genoa Salami are being recalled from the marketplace in Canada due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The affected products include: Brand Name Common Name Size Code(s) on Product UPC Marc Angelo Genoa Salami 100 g Best Before: 14 DE 01 6 27907 05735 9 Avina Fresh Mushrooms Sliced Crimini… Continue Reading

Thailand’s FDA Warns: Mushrooms ‘Frequently Soaked in Formaldehyde’

According to a Thai Financial Post story published on Monday, the Ministry of Public Health in Thailand is urging people to thoroughly wash mushrooms before cooking them after finding that the food item is frequently soaked in formaldehyde before reaching consumers. Dr. Praphon Angtrakun, Deputy Secretary-General of the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA), revealed… Continue Reading

California Reports Five Deaths from Poisonous Mushrooms this Year

Poisonous mushrooms have killed five people and sickened over 1,500 in California since the beginning of the year, according to the state health department. Four of those deaths occurred in November. The California Department of Public Health issued a public health advisory Wednesday warning people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms. “It is very… Continue Reading