Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption


Consuming Raw or Undercooked Asian Swamp Eels Can Infect Humans With Parasites

In Southeast Asia, swamp eels are a common source of human gnathostomiasis, a foodborne zoonosis caused by parasitic Gnathostoma larvae. If the infected eels are eaten undercooked or raw, the parasite can cause mild to serious consequences in humans, including blindness, paralysis or even death. So researchers at the U.S. Geological Survey wanted to find… Continue Reading