Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Colorado

Good Food Concepts recalls beef because of E. coli O26

Good Food Concepts LLC is recalling almost 1,300 pounds of beef from unidentified retail locations, wholesale locations and restaurants in Colorado Springs, CO, after company tests showed E. coli O26 contamination. The Colorado Springs, CO, food distributor notified in-house government inspectors of the positive test results on Monday and the recall notice was posted by the USDA’s… Continue Reading

County won’t name food vendor behind Rifle Rodeo outbreak

Health officials say they’re sure food from a specific vendor at the Rifle Rodeo in Garfield County, CO, caused an outbreak that sickened 40 percent of attendees, but they won’t name the rodeo organizer or the food vendor — neither of whom obtained required permits and neither of whom will be fined. About 80 of… Continue Reading

Several dozen sick after Rifle Rodeo; public asked for help

Colorado public health officials have ruled out waterborne, airborne and person-to-person infection routes for an outbreak of illnesses among several dozen attendees of a rodeo, leaving food as a likely source. The Garfield County Public Health Department repeated its plea Friday for help from everyone who attended the rodeo in Rifle, CO, at the county… Continue Reading

Hepatitis A infection confirmed in Shop ‘N Kart bakery worker

People who ate cakes and cup cakes from the Shop ’N Kart bakery in Chehalis, WA, in recent days are urged to consult with their doctors on whether they should receive a post-exposure vaccination for Hepatitis A. Officials with the Lewis County Public Health & Social Services Department posted a notice Friday announcing the possible… Continue Reading

Micro greens recalled from Whole Foods stores for Salmonella

  Organic micro greens grown by a Colorado company and distributed to Whole Foods Markets locations in Kansas and Colorado are under recall after a random government test of the finished product showed Salmonella contamination. Osage Gardens Inc. of New Castle, CO, packaged the recalled micro greens in 2-ounce clear, plastic clamshell containers with labels… Continue Reading

Hugo’s town well was breached, but there’s no THC in the H2O

More extensive testing during the weekend proved the town water in Hugo, CO, does not contain any THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, as was reported by public officials last week. A shed covering a town wellhead was broken into, but the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department has not been able to determine when the break-in occurred… Continue Reading

‘Wild Boar Brotwurst’ recalled because of excess nitrites

A Colorado company is recalling more than 4,500 pounds of “Wild Boar Brotwurst” products because of excessive levels of nitrites. “The problem was discovered by FSIS (Food Safety and Inspection Service) personnel during a routine label verification task,” according to the recall notice from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. “FSIS discovered that the establishment’s formulation… Continue Reading

Colorado town discovers local water supply may have gone to pot

Being first to make recreational marijuana legal has meant Colorado is an experiment, but nobody saw this one coming. Hugo, CO, a town of about 730 people, located 110 miles from Denver on the Eastern Plains has reported its municipal water has tested posiive for THC, marijuana’s main psychoactive ingredient. THC is what people pay… Continue Reading

Sick boy’s parents sue eatery with food safety violation history

Denver parents are seeking legal recourse after their teenage son was hospitalized with life-threatening complications from an E. coli O157:H7 infection linked to an Aurora, CO, restaurant. The lawsuit, filed Thursday with the Arapaho County District Court in Centennial, CO, states that Marc and Candace Thompson and their son Noah, 14, ate at the Pho 75 restaurant at 2050… Continue Reading

Restaurant linked to E. coli outbreak closes for investigation

A restaurant in Aurora, CO, closed at the request of public health officials Friday because of an E. coli outbreak among its customers. Multiple media outlets in the area reported that Pho 75, 2050 S. Havana Street, is part of an investigation into an E. coli O157 outbreak that had four confirmed victims as of… Continue Reading