Header graphic for print

Food Safety News

Breaking news for everyone's consumption

Boston College

As Boston College Students Recover, Chipotle Enters the ‘Fiasco Vortex’

Except for one unpleasant aspect — the lingering diarrhea — norovirus is known for coming on fast and then quickly burning out. For at least 136 victims, almost all Boston College students, their 24 to 48 hours of burning intestines and churning stomachs after eating at the now-closed Chipotle Mexican Grill near the BC campus should… Continue Reading

Seattle Chipotle Closed For ‘Repeated Food Safety Violations’

The Chipotle Mexican Grill on South Lake Union was shut down Thursday by officials with Public Health — Seattle and King County for repeated food safety violations. The “fast casual” restaurant at 212 Westlake Ave. in Seattle was closed for receiving red violations during three consecutive inspections, according to the official Public Health — Seattle &… Continue Reading

Health Officials: Boston College Illness Outbreak is Norovirus

City health experts and Chipotle Mexican Grill agreed Tuesday that as many as 80 mostly Boston College students sickened over the weekend likely were victims of the “vomiting disease” known as norovirus and not victims of the more serious nine-state E. coli O26 outbreak. Members of the Boston College men’s basketball team were among the… Continue Reading

Is There a Boston College Connection to the Chipotle Outbreak?

UPDATE: A spokesman for Chipotle Mexican Grill says that the Denver-based company believes that common norovirus sickened the Boston College students described in the story below. Chipotle’s Chris Arnold said there is no confirmation yet, but “all of the evidence” points toward norovirus, not the recent E. coli O26 outbreak. Previous coverage below: Chipotle Mexican Grill started… Continue Reading